Tuesday 18 June 2013

An Tobar: Fused

Dancer and choreographer Bridget Madden discusses her latest piece, performed recently in Belfast's MAC Theatre. Watch video



An Tobar ("The Well") is a quartet piece constructed around a dance fusion. It is my own style of blending together two very independent dancing techniques: Irish and contemporary.

Each of the girls involved are of a different dynamic and character. Within their self expression, they are able to present their own versions of my synthesis.

An Tobar was created and initially performed in August 2012 with dancers from The D'amby Project in New York. Today, it is still performed in their repertoire.

When I brought the concept home, I set out to recreate and develop it further on Irish soil with Irish dancers.

The piece is an aesthetic investigation into breaking down the strict principles of Irish dance, loosening up its alignment, dynamic, space and speed. It is the culmination of a year's work in the studio spent working out my own relationship to and rediscovering my understanding of Irish dance. In doing so, I was able to find its base style again, what it meant to me, and to rework its principles from ground level.


0 comments: